Wednesday 5 September 2012

Why did CHrist die for you?

Why did Christ die for you?

When asked that question, many would answer things like “to pay for my sins,” “so I can go to heaven,” “so I won’t have to go to hell.”

Although those answers are valid, they are really byproducts of the real reason.

IN 2 Cor 5:14-15 we read:
For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died.  And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.

Let’s break that verse down and look at it in greater depth.

One died for all, therefore all died  Have you died?  Did you even know that when you became a Christian you were supposed to die?  The Apostle Paul tells us what that means in the book of Colossians.
For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.  When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.  Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature; sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed which is idolatry.  Because of these things the wrath of God is coming.  You used to walk in these ways in the life you once lived.  But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.  Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.  (Col 3:3-10)

So why did Jesus die?  that those who live should no longer live for themselves.
Christ did not go through the torture of the cross and separation from His Father so you could continue living the same sinful life you had when He found you.  He didn’t die simply so you could live how you please and then go to heaven. 
In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.  Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires.  Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body as instruments of righteousness. (Rom 6:11-13)


We who are alive in Christ are to no longer live for ourselves, but for him who died for [us] and was raised again.   

Every decision we make should be based on a desire to live for Jesus. 
Who should I marry? 
Where should I go to school? 
What job should I take? 
What should I spend on my groceries this month?
Should I buy that new ipod? Computer? Car? Boat?  Etc. 
Should I go to church or should I go to the cottage? 
Should I buy myself a new outfit, or should I give the money to the poor? 
Should I drop by and see how my neighbour is doing, or should I watch my favourite TV                   show?
Should I get even with  the *!@%* who hurt me so badly, or should I forgive as God                        forgave me?
Should I study my Bible, or get some extra sleep?

These decisions should all be made to God’s glory.  There are times when you need to take care of yourself, or you will burn out.  There are purchases that make sense in a kingdom perspective.  The answer to the above questions will not always be the same, but they should all be made after talking to God about them.

Are you living for Him who died for you?  That is what it means to be a Christian.  It is not an easy call.  That is why we need one another so desperately.  We need help to answer some of the questions above – we can be too close to the situation to see clearly.  We need help and encouragement to follow through.  We need support and grace when we mess up.  I believe a small group committed to Jesus and committed to one another is one of the best ways to live out your Christianity.

May God grant you a group of dedicated believers to journey with you.  May He lead you and direct you in your decisions.  May you have a heart that is willing to die to the sins that He reveals in your life.  May you have the humility to seek help in the areas that are difficult.  May you know firsthand God’s abundant, overflowing love and grace for you.  May you know the power and joy that comes from dying to self and living for Him who died for you and was raised again!



1 comment:

  1. very helpful tool for self-examination - thanks Cindy!

    ReplyDelete