Thursday 26 March 2015

The Gospel of Comfort

When I became a Christ-follower almost 30 years ago, I came to Him with a deep understanding of commitment and death to self.

Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it. What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self? Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. (Lk 9:23-26)

In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples. (Lk 14:33)

I accepted that the life of a disciple of Jesus was one of sacrifice and self-denial. I was prepared to leave North America and become a missionary somewhere. I was willing to give above and beyond a tithe. I was willing to face persecution. However, I also accepted a subtle message that in return I would have a great marriage, obedient children, less struggles with health and finances, and certain other comforts in exchange. This gospel of comfort is far more prevalent in North American Christianity than the message of self-denial. Many North American Christians have never even heard the message of sacrifice and commitment.

We look at obstacles as terrible burdens that we must bear. We fear illness. We get depressed over finances. We bemoan traffic jams. We criticize our spouses, our bosses, and our government. And then we complain that we don't see God at work in our lives.

I have been involved with an organization that is committed to bringing cutting-edge organic farming techniques to villages in Africa (You Feed Them). The results have been amazing! After my friend returned from a trip to Africa to work on the project, she shared that she was overwhelmed by the poverty. As the tears flowed down her cheeks, she asked God why she had so much and they had so little. The response was that although these villagers were poor in material things, they were very rich in faith.

Our brothers and sisters struggling through poverty NEED God just to get through each day. And every time God provides for them, their faith grows. One friend shared a conversation he had with a very sick man in one of the villages. I think my friend was trying to offer this man help to go to the hospital. The man's response came from a faith that few North Americans will ever achieve. He said with incredible peace, “Either God will heal me, or I will go home to be with Him. I don't need a hospital.” This man has seen God do the miraculous. It is only when God is all you have that you realize that he truly is all you need.

The gospel of comfort comes from the enemy. We do not need the comforts of North America to have God's peace and joy! In fact, the more we think we need, or deserve these comforts, the less joy we have. The more comforts we do have, the less we need God, and the less we see of His faithfulness and goodness.

Jesus said It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.” (Mk 10:25) Why is that? Because we rely on our wealth instead of on God. We rely on doctors instead of God's miraculous healing. We go to counsellors, instead of to God's Word. We find our “joy” in things and entertainment instead of in people and in God. We get divorced because we start to hate our spouse when they no longer adequately provide the happiness and validation we need, when in truth God is our faithful lover than delights in us and will never forsake us. We think more money will solve all our problems, while we ignore the number of extremely wealthy people who commit suicide.

We need to learn to see our trials not as horrible burdens, but as opportunities for God to show us His faithfulness, His miraculous provision and healing, and for us to grow closer to Him as our Comforter, our Hope, our Shield, our Defender. When life is comfortable, we just don't see God's mighty hand as much. When our needs and wants are met elsewhere, God has no opportunity to prove to us His tender faithfulness.


I have had opportunities in the past several years to experience God in many of these ways. Through the hardship of my broken marriage, special needs children and health issues, I got to know God as my Comforter, as my Lover, and as my Provider in truly miraculous ways. Through recent challenges I got to know Him as my Shield and Defender. Now, I am starting to get to know Him as my Healer! If my life had been comfortable, I would never have grown in my intimacy with my Saviour. This intimacy is worth all the pain I have faced! I am so incredibly grateful to know God in these ways! His praise is constantly on my lips, as I see Him at work in my life! Don't cling to the comforts of wealth, but cling instead to the One who can give you treasures and joy that this world can never take away!

Holy Father, I praise You for You wonderful love! I praise You for Your saving grace. That although we deserve the punishment of the cross for our many sins, You clothe us with the righteousness of Christ! I praise You that the trials in my life have given me the opportunity to know You far more intimately than just as Saviour. I pray that those reading this devotional can see You working in their hardships. I pray that they will seek You instead of the comforts of this world. I pray that those who are in financial need will learn that You are a faithful provider. I pray that those in difficult marriages or who have faced the pain of divorce can know You as their Lover. I pray that those who face illness and physical pain can discover that You are the God who Heals. I pray that those facing emotional difficulties, fear, depression, and/or anxiety can know you as their Comforter. I praise You Father, Holy Spirit, and Jesus! 

No comments:

Post a Comment