Tuesday 16 July 2013

God's Amazing Grace, part 2

Today I will continue the study of God's amazing grace. 

In my last post, we substituted "God" for "love" in 1Co13.  In John 1:14 Scripture tells us that "Jesus came full of grace and truth.  We I'm a mathematician. So, I hope I don't lose you in the mathematical approach. If the math scares you, just jump down to the Scripture below.
God = love
Jesus = grace and truth.  
Jesus = God

Mathematically, these  are all equal.  We substituted "God" for "love" in my last post.  Today I am going to substitute "God's grace" into 1Co 13.


God's grace is patient, God's grace is kind. God's grace does not envy, God's grace does not boast, God's grace is not proud. God's grace is not rude, God's grace is not self-seeking, God's grace is not easily angered, God's grace keeps no record of wrongs. God's grace does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. God's grace always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. God's grace never fails. (adapted from 1Co 13:4-8a )

I'm going to look at each phrase individually.
  • Grace is patient:
patient: bearing pain or trials without complaint: showing self-control: calm: steadfast, persevering.
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promises, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” (2Pe 3:9)

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service. Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. the grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners -- of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life. Now to the king eternal, immortal, invisible, the only god, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen. (1Ti 1:12-17)

God bears with our foolishness, our stupid decisions and our sin because he wants us to come to repentance and join him in heaven! Although he hates our sin, he does not have a temper tantrum over it. He is calm and self-controlled in his response to our stupidity. Long after I have given up on myself, God is still working with me and those around me to bring me to repentance, and ultimately to heaven.
  • Grace is kind.
kind: of a sympathetic, forbearing or pleasing nature: arising from sympathy or forbearance: benevolent, benign, gracious.
Kindness is to genuinely want what is best for someone else.

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are -- yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. (Heb 4:14-16)

 
Our Great High Priest is kind to us. He knows we are weak. He knows we fail. He knows we sin. He knows that sometimes we commit the same sin over and over and over again. He sympathizes with that weakness. God doesn’t want to zap us into oblivion every time we make a mistake. Rather, as our Father, he wants what is best for us. Sometimes that requires discipline, but not abuse. God has never been guilty of child abuse.


Oh Great and Gracious Father, Thank you for Your Amazing Grace. Thank you that you are patient with us! Thank you for not giving up on us, even when others have given up on us or when we have given up on ourselves.  You are patient, working in our lives and our circumstances to bring us into a more and more intimate relationship with You! You are kind. Some of us have had harsh parents or other harsh discipline in our lives. You are never harsh. You understand our sinful nature, and You give us grace in our time of need. Thank you for always wanting what is best for us, and for working toward that end. Thank you that we can rely on your loving kindness, and patience when we face trials or failure. May you be praised forever and ever, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment