Saturday 17 November 2012

Don't come empty-handed

As a church we are going through The Story, which is a novelized version of the Bible. It contains NIV Biblical text in chronological order with some transitions to connect the accounts into one magnificent story. It does leave out some of the Biblical text, so I have been trying to read the full account as I prepare to lead and support in my small group studies.

As I read the accounts of God giving the Law to Moses, a line jumped out at me.

Ex 23:15 “No one is to appear before me empty-handed.”

I didn't quite know what to make of that, as we often say in Christian circles that we have nothing to offer God. I decided to go on, but 11 chapters later, there it was again!

Ex 34:20 “No one is to appear before me empty-handed.”

It jumped out at me and almost clobbered me on the head. God was clearly trying to get my attention. I still didn't know what to do with the verse, so I prayed about it. And, as usual for me, God answered me with Scripture.

We have looked at this before. Jesus shares parables to help us understand a spiritual truth.

(Lk 14:28-34) “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it? For if he lays the foundation and is not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule him, saying 'This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.' Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Will he not first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming with twenty thousand? If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.

The verses in Exodus still apply today. Just as a king surrenders to the stronger king, with no conditions, we are to come to God surrendering everything. God wants me to challenge the Christian notion that we come to Jesus empty-handed. Rather than with empty hands, Jesus calls us to come to Him with absolutely everything we have and everything we are. We are to hold nothing back, not a habit, not a relationship, not a house, not a job, not anything! We are to bring everything to God, or He doesn't want us to come at all.

No one is to appear before God empty-handed. Is that how you have come to Christ – offering nothing? Take time today to meditate on the Scripture above and come before God offering everything. It will transform your relationship with God, and He in turn, will transform your life!

Father, there is some truth to the idea that we come before you with nothing to offer. You do not need anything we have. You prefer to use the weak rather than those with strengths, because Your power shines through our weaknesses. However, You spoke to me very clearly through Your Word. No one is to appear before You empty-handed. Although You do not need what we offer You, we need to give it up. Whatever we hang onto in this life holds us back from knowing You and serving You fully. Please help each one of us to recognize what we are holding onto today. Give us the desire and the conviction to offer it up to You today. We praise You and worship You, for You are holy and righteous and loving and compassionate. We fall to our knees in wonder and amazement that You want a relationship with us! You want a deep intimate relationship with each person reading this. Thank you that You are not a distant God, but rather our Father. In the name of You Son, Jesus, Amen

1 comment:

  1. wonderful, fresh insight Cindy - thank you for offering up the challenge

    ReplyDelete