Friday 15 June 2012

Demon of Self-Pity, Part 3

                Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.  Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.  (Heb 12:1-3)

Today's post will complete our study of Hebrews 12:1-3. 

sitting at the right hand of the throne of God:   I know I don’t consider the impact of this enough.  The “throne of God” is easy to say, but incredibly difficult to picture.  Three men who saw the throne of God grasped for the words and images that could give us a mental glimpse of that throne and the One who sits there.

·        Ezekiel:
Above the expanse over their heads was what looked like a throne of sapphire, and high above on the throne was a figure like that of a man.  I saw that from what appeared to be his waist up he looked like glowing metal, as if full of fire, and that from there down he looked like fire; and brilliant light surrounded him.  Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him.  (Ez 1:26-28a)

·        Daniel
His throne was flaming with fire, and its wheels were all ablaze.  A river of fire was flowing, coming out from before him.  Thousands upon thousands attended him; ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him.... In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven.  He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence.  He was given authority, glory, and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshipped him.  His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.  (Dan 7: 9b-10, 13-14)

·        John the Apostle
At once I was in the Spirit, and there before me was a throne in heaven with someone sitting on it.  And the one who sat there had the appearance of jasper and carnelian.  A rainbow, resembling an emerald, encircled the throne....  From the throne came flashes of lightning, rumblings and peals of thunder.  Before the throne, seven lamps were blazing.  These are the seven spirits of God.  Also before the throne there was what looked like a sea of glass, clear as crystal.  (Rev 4:2-3, 5-6)

I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me.  And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, and among the lampstands was someone ‘like a son of man,” dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest.  His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire.  His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters.  In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword.  His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.  When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead.  Then he placed his right hand on me and said:  “Do not be afraid.  I am the First and the Last.  I am the Living One;  I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever!  And I hold the keys of death and Hades.”  (Rev 1:12-18)


All I can say in response to these passages is: 
                        Be still and know that He is God Almighty! (Ps 46:10)

            As we fix our eyes on Jesus we should be motivated to persevere.  “Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you do not grow weary and lose heart.”  When we give in to self-pity -- to the poor me syndrome--  we listen to more lies from the depths of Hell.  “Nobody understands how hard it is for me” -- “nobody understands my situation” -- “its easy for someone healthy to live the Christian life, but I have too many health problems and it is too hard” --  “nobody understands the burdens of my past” ....

 To stop listening to the lies of Hell you must fix your eyes on Jesus!

Jesus does understand you -- even better than you understand yourself!!  Jesus does care about your struggles!  At the cross, Jesus faced pain beyond anything you or I have ever faced –
  • physical pain (his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and his form marred beyond human likeness -- Isa 52:14);
  • emotional pain (He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering.  Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised and we esteemed him not.  -- Isa 53:3);
  • and spiritual pain, as my sin and your sin separated Jesus from his Father for the first time in all eternity (At the sixth hour darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour.  And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?” -- which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” -- Mk 15:33-34) 

We do not have to listen to the self-pitying lies of Satan’s demons!!  Jesus died, and then raised again so we could live victorious lives!   Let’s read -16

“I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True.  With justice he judges and makes war.  His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns.  He has a name writen on him that no one knows but he himself.  He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God.  The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen…. He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty.  On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written:
KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.

Our King, (Ladies --our Handsome Prince) is dressed for battle and is ready to fight for His Beloved – YOU!  No demon will withstand the fury of God Almighty.  Jesus the King of kings and Lord of lords has already proved His love for you in His sacrificial death – as the Risen King of Heaven and Earth He has already won the victory over Satan and his demons! 
Focus on Jesus and the demons of self-pity will flee!

No comments:

Post a Comment