Wednesday 7 March 2012

Before and After -- part 2

On Monday in the small group I attend, we were discussing Matthew chapter 7, verses 21-23.

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.  Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!”

This summer God placed a burden on my heart through this passage.  That burden has led to a series of studies and this blog. (See the post entitled “The Story Behind this Blog.”)  I felt like I had a lot to share with the small group, after months of Bible study on the topic.  I shared a very short version of the “Before and After” post from February 26.  My friend challenged me, saying that some people start following Jesus at such a young age, that there is no “Before and After” story.

My friend was absolutely right.  There are some who respond to Jesus when they are very young.  Many who accept Jesus as a child, have a time of rebellion and a prodigal homecoming.  They have the “Before and After” story.  But, there are some individuals that just continue to grow in their love for Jesus and in their obedience.  Their stories are more of continual growth. 

We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands.  The man who says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar and the truth is not in him.  But anyone who obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him.  Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did. (1Jn 2:3-6)

So, without a “Before and After” story, the Apostle John tells us how we can recognize someone who truly knows Jesus.  Obedience and love mark the lives of those who know Jesus.  They “walk the walk,” not just “talk the talk.”  Those who know Jesus continue to grow in their relationship with Him.  They strive to be like Jesus – to think like Jesus, to love like Jesus, to respond like Jesus.  They are not just checking off items on a religious checklist.  Those religious checklists of “thou shall,” and “thou shall not,” do not result in a relationship with Jesus.  Those who continue to grow in their relationship with Jesus will continue to grow in their obedience and love as they imitate their Lord and Savior.  Those who know Jesus will never hear him say, “Away from me!”

(I have fixed the comment section so that anyone can comment.  So, please bless us all with your comments.  Have a God-filled week!)

No comments:

Post a Comment